Gas Fireplace vs Electric Fireplace10/13/2020
The Coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic is making all the news these days. We are receiving a lot of questions regarding can air conditioners spread Coronavirus? We are not doctors and cannot answer the question with certainty. However, we can tell you what we know already.
How Coronavirus is Spread
According to the Centers for Disease Control, “COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly through close contact from person-to-person.” Those who do not show symptoms of the virus can still spread it, and even the CDC admits they are still learning how the virus spreads. They do believe the virus can be spread by:
- Person to person contact from those who are within six feet of each other.
- Via respiratory droplets produced when someone infected sneezes, coughs, or even talks.
- Through respiratory droplets that land in the noses or mouths of nearby people who inhale it into their lungs.
- They currently do not believe COVID-19 can be spread from animals to people or vice versa.
But Can Air Conditioners Spread Coronavirus?
A recent Chinese study claims that coronavirus disease in an air conditioner in a Guangzhou restaurant infected the occupants. Did the Coronavirus outbreak come from the air conditioner? Did it come from infected food? Did it come from occupants being too close together? It is difficult for even professionals who examined the study to determine. However, there is this news report that cites several experts:
- ”It’s very, very unlikely.” – Dr. Brian Kaminski, ProMedica .
- He also urged that experts not get sidetracked on air conditioners and HVAC units to ensure we don’t “lose that focus on the person-to-person transmission” in which differences can be made.
- The Chinese study admitted six of the smears on the air conditioner came up negative for Coronavirus.
- “Ventilation and filtration provided by (HVAC) systems can reduce the airborne concentration of SARS-CoV-2.” – The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers
- They recommend to use the setting on your air conditioner that draws in air from the outside. “What we really want to be doing now … is actually drawing in more outside air,” – Dr. Acton,
Ohio Department of Health.
Air Quality in Turlock, California
Air Kustoms Inc is a locally owned company that aims to improve the air quality of people’s property in Turlock and the surrounding areas. Feel free to contact us to learn more about how we can help you.